Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DOWN Industry

    So, this was news to me. My boyfriend and I went shopping for pillows a couple weeks ago and he mentioned something about down feathers. I had no idea what he was talking about and he explained to me that some pillows had real goose feathers in them! I suppose I have lived a sheltered life.. but I never heard of such a thing. I just thought they all had fake feathers inside of them.. but to my surprise, I did some research and found out about the grim down industry. They often pluck their geese alive in order to get their "down," which is the soft layer of feathers closest to the bird's skin. These feathers are used for clothing and comforters.
    There has been a lot of undercover video footage showing employees on goose farms pulling fistfuls of feathers out of live birds, causing the birds to shriek while making bloody wounds in their skin. They are squeezed upside down between workers' knees during the painful procedure - in one instance, an investigator photographed a worker who was sitting on a goose's neck in order to prevent her from escaping.............
    Plucking live birds causes incredible distress and pain. Once the feathers are ripped out, the birds are paralyzed with fear and left with gaping wounds. I say the lucky ones die as a result of the procedure. If they survive, the birds wounds are sewn up with needle and thread without aenestetics and go through the process again once their feathers grow back in.
    That's not all.. buying down supports the cruelty of foie gras and meat industries because many farmers who raise birds for food make an extra profit by selling their feathers as well. When they're slaughtered, aoften their throats are cut or dumped into tanks of scalding hot water while their still conscious. Can you imagine? Gives me chills..
    The only way to be sure that the products you buy was not obtained from live-plucked birds is to choose cruelty-free materials. My pillows are comfy as ever! Please make the compassionate decision to be down-free and not support the abuse of birds.




No comments:

Post a Comment