Thursday, October 6, 2011

Turkey Tossing

     Sometimes I am really happy about being who I am - a vegan 100%. Sometimes I don't realize somethings until later on.. but as soon as I do - I change it! For example, there was a wonderful tomato basil pasta at a restaurant by my house. I ordered it once, specified no cheese sprinkled on top - ate it and it was divine. The next time we went, I ordered the same thing.. the waiter informed me that the sauce was made with cheese! So, sure once in a while.. and probably a long time, I will make mistakes.. so in the long run, under the circumstances of the world, I am happy about who I am and what I do (and don't do) as far as animals go. But, on the other hand, I am very sad. I am very very very sad all of the times because of the majority of the world who does participate in evil.. I am saddened by this on a daily basis.
    Tomorrow & Saturday, "The Turkey Trot Festival" is going on, and I am so sick about this. I have  never heard of such a thing! And, I thought Snapperfest was the stupidest thing I had heard of. Live turkeys may again be hurled to their deaths from planes 1,000 feet in the air traveling 70 miles per hour while spectators cheer. Who the F would cheer or participate in this
crude 'activity?' Naturally, turkeys fly short distances at low altitudes. Being dropped from a plane 1,000 feet means they will fall like stones, slamming into buildings, the street, and even cars with a sickening thud. This ridiculous 'festival' happens several times a day during Yellville, Arkansas. The drop violates Arkansas law (§5-62-103), which states that "a person commits the offense of cruelty to animals if he or she knowingly subjects any animal to cruel mistreatment." Yet city officials have never lifted a finger against the responsible people.
    I wish I could do something. Can you imagine how terrified these birds are? God knows where these turkeys come from and what they've been through already.. then their last moments.. transferred on a plane and dropped to die.
I do think it is nice and I wish for the best.. PETA is offering a reward up to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for this cruel and malicious activity. All we can do is urge the mayor of Yellville to do everything in his power to prevent turkeys from being illegally terrorized and killed during this year's festival and pray for these birds. I wish I would have stumbled across this sooner to do more. May they rest in peace.
     I normally choose not to post videos.. pictures do justice. But with this particular festival, I couldn't not find any pictures that I thought would show justice.. so take a look for yourself.. it is safe for work & is not graphic.. just gives you an idea of what happens.. picture if that was you being thrown out of the plane.. and listen to those ignorant people.. how much fun they are having.

No comments:

Post a Comment